At Dojo of Modern Karate of Branford, we offer classes in both Shotokan Karate (Japanese) and Taekwondo (Korean). Students learn both styles combined into one exciting program, and ultimately will earn black belt status in both Shotokan Karate and Taekwondo.
We offer various programs for different age groups and experience levels.
- Children's Beginners Program for ages 4 and up
- Adult Program for ages 16 and up
- Separate Intermediate, Advanced & Black Belt programs
- Sparring and weapons programs
Sensei Alphonse Gambardella Jr (Master Instructor)
- Started training in the Martial Arts 1983
- Established the Dojo Modern Karate LLC in 1996
- Head Martial Arts instructor for the East Haven Recreation Department
- Promoter of the CT Shoreline Karate Championships
- Currently a Fifth Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate and a Fourth Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo.
- Inducted into three different Hall of Fames for excellence in teaching.
- 2004 - nominated as Sports Person of the Week by Shore Publishing Newspaper
- Head Coach of Team Gambardella
- Head Coach of Team Off the Line
- BS Degree from SCSU in Business Management
Jennie Marie Distasio (Head Instructor)
- Started training in the Martial Arts 1999
- Currently a First Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate and Taekwondo
- Chief instructor and Developer of the Tiny Tiger Program
- 2005 & 2006 seasons rated number one in Connecticut in the advanced woman division on the KRANE Tournament Circuit.
- 2003 she was nominated as Sports Person of the Week by the Shore
- Publishing Newspaper
- Captain of Team Gambardella.
- AS Degree in Early Childhood Education